Omni Channel Marketing Automation Case Study of Halaltrip
Read the omni-channel marketing case study from the travel industry
that redefined customer engagement to the next level.
2000+ subscribers in 45 days from push notifications
10X website traffic
5000+ unique viewers
120 attendees for the survey in 30 days
3000+ unique website visits
5000 unique clicks via email promotions
HalalTrip is a comprehensive online travel platform set up exclusively for Muslim travellers. A first-of-its-kind, their services range from flight or hotel bookings, and quality dietary services to prayer facilities and more. Founded in 2010, this Singapore-based innovative travel planning platform aims to make travel convenient, pleasurable, and faith-friendly for Muslims across the globe.
Multi-vendor dependency for their cross-channel promotions was one of the biggest challenges faced by the HalalTrip team. It was not only cumbersome but also challenging to coordinate with multiple vendors. Gaining insights from different digital marketing tools seemed nightmarish. More than 50% bounce rate from page visits for the homepage or any page on HalalTrip.com led to the loss of revenue opportunities.
- Develop and implement an omnichannel marketing automation platform marketing strategy for the brand, taking into consideration consumer reach and their channel preferences.
- Build seamless engagement by leveraging multiple touchpoints created by consumers across various channels and devices.
- Address campaign management challenges about multi-vendor dependency for cross channel promotions.
- Identify and address the 50% plus website visitor bounces into future revenue opportunities for the brand.
- Gather relevant user data
- Retain leaving website visitors
- Study the global user profiles
- Bring back customers to the website
- Scale-up email sending reputation
Identifying hot prospects and building seamless user engagement are major factors influencing the growth of the online travel industry. This is where SaaS-based intelligent marketing automation suite cmercury’s valuable data insights coupled with its powerful analytics helped HalalTrip. Using cmercury’s omnichannel capabilities, HalalTrip implemented smart customer engagement workflows to address their retention problems. Let’s analyze the steps executed to overcome each challenge
Gather relevant user data
An optin list builder popup with a confirmation checkbox’ was implemented on the home page.
Based on Google Analytics data, the team concluded that a large number of visitors were exiting the home page without taking any action. Implementing a subscription-based optin popup with a checkbox helped capture valuable and genuine user data.
Do bear in mind that according to GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation), businesses must seek permission from users before collecting or using their data for business purposes. It’s extremely important for businesses to protect the personal data and privacy of their users to remain GDPR compliant. By implementing this subscription-based optin popup, HalalTrip was able to:
Convert website visitors to actual subscribers.
- Smartly segment their subscribers (a list of genuinely interested users).
- Improve brand transparency and win customer trust.
Retain leaving website visitors
After analyzing user behaviour aspects like duration of page visits, most viewed pages bounced pages etc., the team created multiple and relevant exit-intent popups on different pages.
After a user had visited the website, the pop-up page link was triggered based on the following conditions:
- On exit
- Page fully loaded
- Scroll based
The custom banner popups helped redirect the visitors to pages with less traffic. This led to increased customer engagement, retention, and better revenue opportunities.
Study the global user profiles – especially of women travellers Embedded customized popup survey on their website.
As an exclusive travel advisor platform for Muslim travellers, tracking the specific travel needs of women was a huge challenge to assist them to plan their Halal-friendly travel arrangements. To tackle this, a customized survey popup was executed with well thought out questions. It was implemented on their blog page and asked where women travellers were most likely to visit. The website popup survey was highly successful and supported the team to:
- Discover what facilities potential women customers would like to have.
- Gain deeper insights into the interests, food and travel preferences of Muslim women.
- Provide a better overall user experience.
Bring back users to the website
Real-time push notifications
Apart from attracting new users, HalalTrip wanted to implement a strategy to reengage the visitors. Using cmercury’s browser push notifications, they retargeted anonymous and unregistered visitors to their website. The team initiated two to three campaigns per week. Something interesting about push notifications is the fact that irrespective of the device used, push notifications direct traffic to the website even if the users are out of the website. Also, browser push notifications have proven to generate high CTRs.
Push notification campaign helped them achieve:
- More subscriptions and global reach
- Enhanced brand visibility
- Huge time saving
Scaling up email sending reputation.
After migrating the entire subscriber base from their previous vendor, team cmercury analyzed and updated the huge volume of data to wipe off redundancies and create smart segments. This helped them achieve better open to click rates for their email promotions. When team cmercury initiated the engagement, the HalalTrip mailing domain had a “BAD” reputation (as per Gmail postmaster data). By applying the email deliverability best practices, the domain was closely monitored and scaled up to reach “High” status, a critical state to achieve in email deliverability management.
- 2000+ subscribers in just 45 days from push notifications alone.
- 10X more growth in website traffic.
- 5000 unique viewers and 120 attendees for the survey in 30 days.
- 4% CTR for on-site notifications.
- 3000+ unique website visits and 5000 unique clicks via email promotions.
- 14% increase in unique clicks via email.
- High email sending reputation and sender score.