Ecommerce Email Marketing Automation Case Study of Joyalukkas
Read the ecommerce marketing automation case study of Joyalukkas
that made them step into the world of e-commerce.
3 to 4 million e-commerce revenue per month
1.7 million website visitors per month
17% increase in email open rate
High email sending reputation
Joyalukkas is a leading jewellery group renowned for its award-winning range of gold, silver and precious stones collections. It is a global jewellery brand to reckon with. With more than 160 retail outlets in over 14 countries, Joyalukkas enjoys the patronage of millions of customers across the globe.
The gems and jewellery industry contributes to a remarkable share of the global economy. With the emergence of e-commerce and increased spending potential, more and more people are buying online. Joyalukkas wanted to leverage this opportunity and tap into the cohesive online digital marketing strategy. After a competitive evaluation of a handful of leading marketing automation platforms, Joyalukkas signed up with cmercury to achieve the following goals:
- Start online marketing and leverage marketing opportunities online.
- Establish online marketing channels from scratch and provide a seamless user experience.
- Drive online conversions and revenue.
In any industry vertical, building trust among customers is of utmost importance. Owing to factors like purity, nurturing trust, is critical in the jewellery industry. Building an online marketing workflow from scratch while standing apart from competitors involved many challenges. The primary challenges faced by Joyalukkas included:
- Centralize marketing and recording information in a unified source.
- Lack of master marketing database to analyse user behaviour.
As a customer-centric brand, Joyalukkas envisioned making a seamless multi-channel online customer experience. Team cmercury analyzed the requirements and challenges and arrived at a digital marketing strategy for Joyalukkas based on an omnichannel marketing approach. Here’s the step by step description of how we implemented it:
Extracted user data and built the organic database
One of the biggest challenges before the team was the non-existence of historical user data. Since Joyalukkas was starting online promotions for the first time, only a small amount of data was available for initiating campaigns. As it was hard to predict buying patterns without user history data, team cmercury used the following strategies to
- Collected existing offline databases, targeted them through carefully crafted SMS campaigns and redirected them for email signups.
To start with, our team collected phone numbers of offline customers from selected Joyalukkas stores and strategized SMS campaigns with well-thought-out content. These short messaging campaigns served to analyse the online readiness of their offline users and facilitated the collection of vital cross-channel user data points like email addresses.
These campaigns were cleverly timed with new category launches and attractive discount offers. Their product designs helped to reduce the weight of the campaign, accompanied by crisp and action-oriented short messaging content crafted by the cmercury content team.
SMS served as the link to bridge the gap in the online-offline customer database and enabled the creation of a clean online database for Joyalukkas through smart cross channel data acquisition tactics.
In short, the SMS campaigns not only helped to build an engaging customer base but also to identify and rank channel-specific consumer responsiveness. In addition, it helped to quarantine the list of customers who were in the DND (Do Not Disturb) registry.
- Converted anonymous visits into subscriptions and revenue opportunities through opt-in pop-up implementations on the website.
Before Joyalukkas engaged with cmercury, the only option for subscriptions was through direct signup on their website. Our team did a thorough analysis of page visits and identified a good opportunity to capture subscription data from website visits across various pages. Based on this, the team implemented list-builder and offer based popups, which helped build 78% of organic subscriptions from popup campaigns alone.
- Unified customer data into a single platform
The rich capabilities of the cmercury platform that includes list manager, web analytics and smart segments were deployed to create a unified, single view customer data. It gave greater control to the campaign planning and deployment teams.
- Set up seamless online cross-channel engagement
After the successful completion of the database building process, the team initiated cross-channel campaigns throughout the customer lifecycle through the cmercury marketing automation suite. This included personalized and contextual communication across channels including:
- Web push
- Popup notifications
- Identified customer behaviour patterns
To better understand and serve customer needs, the team applied RFM (Recency, Frequency, Monetary) model segmentation to segregate users. This helped to identify buying patterns and user preferences to build smart segments and decide the next best communication time and channel.
- Created category-based user segments and targeted them
For further campaign optimization and results, the team made specific segments and targeted users based on the following criteria
- Cart addition
- Encouraged offline customers to purchase online
As part of growing the database volume and encouraging conversions, the team deployed strategic SMS campaigns to offline store visitors educating them about the benefits of online shopping and tempting them to purchase online with special offers and discounts.
- Provided advanced email deliverability assistance
cmercury’s deliverability team closely monitored Joyalukkas’s emailing activities. The team deployed effective email reputation scale-up strategies to ensure the placement of emails in the inbox and not compromise on domain IP reputation. Frequent monitoring of domain/IP reputation resulted in improved inbox placements, minimal bounce and low spam rates.
- Integrated Web Analytics
cmercury team enabled the integration of web analytics that helped provide a complete picture of all the marketing activities. Proper data analysis and optimization and the effective integration of web analytics helped us to arrive at the best decisions for planning future campaigns.
- cmercury’s cross-channel campaign strategies for Joyalukkas were:
- Implemented welcome email and SMS campaigns for new subscribers.
- Created customized email and SMS campaigns to target non-openers.
- Launched regular follow up campaigns for openers with recommendations.
- Crafted catchy subject lines to boost email open rates.
- Managed the brand’s IP reputation
This intensive and exhaustive approach to cross-channel marketing called for a well-thought-out plan and the support of an entire team. From client service executives to marketing specialists, email deliverability experts and technical managers, everyone worked dedicatedly to make it happen.
Technical Capabilities Deployed:
- Email data hygiene tools
- List manager to collect and sort email data
- cmercury audience builder
Advisory Services Deployed:
- Creative data optimization
- Email best practices consulting
- 3 to 4 million e-commerce revenue per month
- 1.7 million website visitors per month
- Email opens touched new industry highs at 17%.
- High email sending reputation